N-BK7 Optical Glass
Bor-crown glass from SCHOTT
- High quality optical glass material
- Practically free of bubbles and inclusions
- Very clear and colorless appearance
- Made of purest raw materials
N-BK7 is the arsenic- and lead free successor material of BK7, which has been discontinued. It is one of the most common technical optical glass materials, used for high quality optical components in the visible range. N-BK7 is a relatively tough bor-crown glass and shows a good scratch resistance.N-BK7 has a very low amount of inclusions and is almost free of bubbles. Another reason for choosing N-BK7 is the high linear optical transmission in the visible range down to 350nm. Because of stable chemical properties of N-BK7, no special treatment is required to grind and polish the material. N-BK7 is produced in strips and blocks up to about 350mm wide and about 70mm thick. It can be fabricated to any smaller size. Larger N–BK7 strips and dimensions are available on request.We grind, polish and shape the material according to customer's specifications.
To request windows or substrates made of SCHOTT N-BK7 Glass with individual dimensions, please click the button below:
Specifications of N-BK7 Optical Glass
Optical Transmission spectrum of N-BK7
- Refractive Index nd : 1,51680 (587,6nm)
- Abbe numbers:
- Density: 2,51 g/cm3
- Young's modulus E: 82 x 103 N/mm2
- Poisson's ratio μ: 0,206
- Knoop hardness HK0,1/20: 610
- Coefficient of thermal expansion:
- 7,1 x10-6/K (-30°C to +70°C)
- 8,3 x10-6/K (+20 to +300°C)
- Softening Point (107,6 dPa): 719°C
- Annealing Point (1013 dPa): 557°C
- Transformation temperature Tg: 557°C
- Climate Resistance Class 2
Resistance against humidity is expressed
by CR-Classes 1 (high) to 4 (low).
- Stain Resistance Class 0
Resistance against staining is expressed
by FR-Classes 0 (high) to 5 (low).
- Acid Resistance Class 1
Resistance against acid solutions is expressed
by SR-Classes 0 (high) to 4 (low).
- Alkali Resistance Class 2
Resistance against alkali solutions is expressed
by AR-Classes 0 (high) to 4 (low).
- Phosphate Resistance Class 2,3
Resistance against an alkali phosphate solution
is expressed by PR-Classes 1 (high) bis 4 (low).
Further detailed specifications on request.
All given details and specifications are mean reference values and are not guaranteed. In addition, please consider our "Notes on technical specifications